Friday, November 6, 2009

Day 193

This is one of those little surprises you come across in a wooded area. Shrooms!



The wonder is that they don't appear more often. The sheer variety growing on trees (dead or alive) is incredible, but they don't seem to hop territories as much as one would think. A tiny colony lives on this fallen log over here, cohabitating with two different moss varieties. Medium size families like the one pictured here scale to eye-level on a strong, healthy tree. And then there are the truly enormous kind--the sequoia of the mushroom family--that scale the heights of the tree...or perhaps simply grow out as the tree grows up.




Can't make it out? I'll zoom in for you--not great quality, though, I'll warn you. They don't look that impressive until you realize that each is as big around as those truly massive branches.




I love their pleated underskirts. Don't get me wrong: I think eating mushrooms is gross. Do not like. But in their natural habitat, I find them completely charming.


1 comment:

  1. Love the black and white... I would have never thought to do that!

    ReplyDelete