Friday, December 18, 2009

Day 235

I can't remember the first time I saw White Christmas. I suspect it was at my Aunt Stella's house whilst eating ribbon candy under a Christmas tree decorated with tinsel and bubble lights. We had some very iconic Christmas gatherings there and I'd imagine that movie was part of it.

Whenever I watched it, I fell in love, I'm sure. More than that, it formed a deep, abiding foundation for my fashion sensibilities. Specifically, every single outfit Rosemary Clooney wore buried themselves deep into my impressionable psyche.

Last night I made my (second of the week) annual pilgrimage to see the movie on the big screen and decided I would share this fashion with you. Of all the dresses she wears in the movie--and they are legion--this is by far the most fabulous.



It's just perfect (the dress, not the shot, clearly). You can't see it from this angle, but there's an enormous diamond brooch pinned to the small of her back. It should look ridiculous and out of place and, very probably, a bit too bootylicious. But it doesn't. It looks sublime.

Another formative moment in the movie? The boy below. He appears in this single scene, he speaks not a word, and he has some of the goofiest choreography ever (not purposely funny, mind you). Honestly, this may be the only shot in which his face is really visible. I was instantly in love.



A few years ago I found I was not alone. This was George Chakiris's big break. Seems girls swamped the studio with letters begging to know who that boy was and wanting to see him in more. Now that's charisma!

1 comment:

  1. I concur. No seriously, my Christmas would not be complete without oooohing and aaaaahing over this movie. I want all clothes. All.

    ReplyDelete