Monday, December 14, 2009

Day 231

The sun shone all day Saturday. And I couldn't stand not to be out in it. So I drove out to Pickerel Lake and went for a tromp.

How do I forget how much I love being out in snow until I'm actually surrounded by it? Despite my natural inclination to childlike wonder (and yeah, okay, childishness, but that's a different topic), sometimes I still fall into the trap of being wooed by the cozy warmth of the indoors and grumble that there are so many things I can't do when there's snow on the ground. But that never stopped me when I was a kid. Heck, it didn't stop me in college. Just bundle up and head outside! I'm so glad I broke out the long johns and extra gloves and ventured into the great outdoors. It was more than worth it.

But do you know who shovels Pickerel? No one, that's who! Which made it interesting in a couple of places. Like the dock that crosses the lake.



They leave the trail snow-covered because, as you can see from the shot above, cross-country skiers love it. And I did find myself remembering how much I enjoyed cross-country the two or three times I got the chance to try it. Maybe I should have put skis (skies? Skiis?) on my wishlist this year! Or snowshoes.

Speaking of, see the tracks on the trail below? Those oval-ended ones coming toward you? Snowshoes!!



Oh, I do love winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment