Friday, December 4, 2009

Day 221

Sitting at my desk, correcting files, I glance up. And what to my wondering eyes should appear? (Tip your head to the side, sorry).



SNOW!!!! Giant, fluffy flakes of it!

Which is when I squealed loudly and started to bounce in my chair, clapping my hands like a little kid. This was followed by laughter, both at myself, and from sheer happy joy.

I could not stop grinning.

This morning, I woke to several inches of snow on the ground. I drove into work a little early and went about 10-15 mph the whole way. And it's worth it.

Look, I know people say they don't like snow, and I believe some of you (Tom, I'm looking at you). But many times what it boils down to is that you hate driving in snow, right? I get that, I do. I need new tires for the car; believe me, I understand. However, I think that's really more an argument to return to the horse and sleigh idea. I'm wholeheartedly for that. Because when you take the whole "threat of death" out of the equation, it becomes a lot more difficult to hate snow. It's beautiful, especially when it first falls. It hushes the world, enveloping everything in its ermine embrace. It's enchanting and charming and just plain fun!

Pretend you're not an adult anymore, that you don't have to drive or shovel or all the other chores that make you hate snow. Pretend you're a kid again and snow means snow days and snowmen and sledding and catching flakes on your tongue and finding fourteen new designs of flake melting on just one mitten. Try to recapture the sheer wonder snow used to bring you.



This post is dedicated to Amy, who won't get snow this year. We have plenty to spare and I'll share it with you anytime.

4 comments:

  1. Snow is forever a novelty for me. I did not enjoy having to shovel it in my Michigan years, but that is in the past and now it's just neato.
    Andy proposed a little winter trip to the mountains so maybe I'll get SOME snow in winter '10.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only catch January snow on my tongue. :^P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm jealous, we don't have any snow here yet. I've developed an appreciation for snow since moving to Indiana, we barely get any snow but we get a TON of cold and wind. If it's going to be that cold, couldn't we at least have some snow blowing around?

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG I can't even imagine!! Its so amazing!

    I haven't even seen snow in maybe 10 years.. and it was fake.

    ReplyDelete