Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Day 128

Nostalgia: Day Seven

On my grandmother's vanity were two peachy glass dishes with sculptured handles shaped like deer. These dishes held her jewelry--watches in one, earrings and rings in another.

I used to go through those dishes, festooning myself with the clip earrings and one or two silver watches, pretending I was a society lady attending a function or a fancy dinner or just Tuesday tea with the girls. I'm sure I wore some of the jewelry outside to play, though I'd bet that was a serious infraction of the rules.

None of the jewelry was particularly valuable--at least not that I know of--but I felt like I was wearing real diamonds and pearls.

My aunt has recently been sending me some things of my grandparents, both of whom are gone now. And a month or so ago, another box showed up. Inside were the two glass jewelry dishes. I had completely forgotten about them somehow, but the instant I saw them peeking through the bubble wrap, I went flashing back to those days in rural Arkansas when my grandmother's jewelry made me feel like a princess.



Thanks, Aunt Janie.

1 comment:

  1. I like that. I, too, used to play with my grandma's inexpensive jewelry. They were mostly things from Avon. I looooved going through her jewelry drawer.

    ReplyDelete