Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Day 122

Nostalgia: Day Two

I grew up with three friends named Wynken, Blynken, and Nod. I thought of them as friends, anyway. They're the three smokestacks of the largest plant of Lansing, Michigan's Board of Water & Light. On a clear day, they can be seen from as far as 15 miles away. But they're only about half a mile from my elementary school.




I remember them with fondness. It was one of those quirky things that capture the public imagination and don't let go. Why did they get named after characters in a Dutch lullaby? Who named them that and how did it catch on? I don't know. All I know is that Lansing embraced it and thousands of school children have grown up feeling like they know these friendly towers.

It's a particular cozy nostalgia for me. When my cousin and I recently went down to see the stacks and visit the dam by the station, I couldn't help smiling. They still look out over the city, benevolent and proud, sentinels for a time gone by when whimsy meant just as much as the bottom line.



Now the car assembly plant that was next to it has been demolished, and this water station is scheduled to be decommissioned. I just hope that when the duty is moved to the new DeWitt station, they'll do something with this local landmark that really does justice to its heritage.

3 comments:

  1. What an interesting thing to be fond of. Yeah, I think you have to grow up with them to understand. I mean I understand ~basically since I'm a nostalgic person but... you know what I mean.

    I'm still reeling from my elementary school being demolished. It's like a little gut punch every time I drive by. I'm sure Andy is sick of hearing about it. But it was a cute, unique little place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Wynken, Blynken and Nod. I remember you could see them from the apartment building that my mom and I lived in. I still drive past them when I am at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They used to hand out coloring books to kids when we'd go there on tours. I wish I still had mine--I can only vaguely remember it, but I'm pretty sure the smokestacks had cartoony smiles in it. And I'd imagine there were stickers and such.

    ReplyDelete