Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Day 121

Nostalgia: Day One

Wanna hear something funny (peculiar, not haha)? I've been planning a nostalgia theme since last week--before I knew that was this week's theme on I Heart Faces. Sync!

Do you remember going to camp? I wasn't a huge fan of camp, myself. It was always so structured! I wanted more free time to go off into the woods and play or read next to the lake or float in the water. I didn't want to be forced to interact at specific times with specific people. But I could deal with all that.

What I had the hardest time with were the granddaddy longlegs (which is what I called them). They were there at registration every single time, waiting to greet skittish arachniphobe campers. They were in the bathrooms, and oh, the horror stories I heard about them being on toilet seats waiting for the unwary. They were everywhere.

But somehow, they were never as pretty as the guy in this picture. (Click on it to make it bigger if you can't quite make him out).



I suspect the ones that live at summer camp are just evil. That's my theory.

4 comments:

  1. Why doesn't that freak you out? It sure icks me a bit.

    Of course, I never would have gone to camp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've felt a kinship with daddy (or granddaddy) longlegs since I was a child. Maybe it was because we both have long legs and are often misunderstood. I was always fascinated by the urban legend that said they have the deadliest venom of any spider in the United States, but were unable to harm humans because of their fangs. It was a bit dissapointing when Myth Busters disproved it.

    Another beautiful and thought inspiring photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the photo, but am so freaked out by spiders I don't think I personally would've been able to take it (probably would've dropped the camera and fled), maybe with a telephoto lens...
    Anyhow, I'm jealous that you got to go to camp. I've always glamorized it in my head (I used to watch The Parent Trap over and over as a kid, and always imagined camp kind of being like that) but never got to go. My family did a lot of camping, though, so maybe that makes up for it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should probably clarify something: I didn't get all that close to this guy. I held the camera out in front of me, checking the screen from the back. He also wasn't moving at all, which helped. Because, yeah, eesh.

    ReplyDelete