Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Day Eighty-Eight

Macro: Day Three

You may remember yesterday's post about baked goods making me late for work? (Hint: if not you can just scroll down--though now I've essentially already told you the high points).

It was frustrating. First, I misjudged how much batter there would actually be--it was enough to make six muffins. That is apparently not enough to fill a 9xwhatever bread tin. Curses! And then it took longer than the mini-muffins I was simultaneously trying to create (which were really too dry for my taste). And then I tried to be a bit fancy, which was probably my ultimate doom.

You see, I had this vision. A vision of unusual beauty, flavor, and carmelization. In one of my recent stories, I'd written about the character adding a little brown sugar to the top of her cookies in the last few minutes of cooking to make them all rich and carmelized. The problem is, I have no idea if such a thing works. What better time to experiment than when you're late already, I ask you?

I added a little bit of cinnamon to the batter itself before cooking. And then, five minutes before it was done baking, I pulled it out to add the finishing touches. I made a few quick sweeps of the butter-flavored cooking spray (I would have used butter, but again, late) over the surface so things would stick. And then I sprinkled more cinnamon, a little brown sugar, and a lot of "Sugar in the Raw"--basically these beautiful little sugar crystals.

It didn't exactly do what I'd hoped for--more experimenting is clearly in order. But it did taste pretty good. I think if I add real blueberries next time and do actual muffins instead (or use a different mix, say), this might turn into something.

Still, there was only one piece left at the end of the meeting. This one. Admire the pretty sugar bits!!




And it's macro! Theeeeeeeme!

2 comments:

  1. It looks like a picture that you would see in a baking magizine or something...it was delicious too!!!

    amy m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly looks tasty, love the big sugar grains. If you were going for a creme brulee effect, after you put the brown sugar on, put it under the broiler. If that's not what you were going for, never mind, it still looks nummers.

    ReplyDelete