Thursday, April 22, 2010

Day 360

Day! Three! Sixty!

Crazy.

As I mentioned yesterday, we spent Saturday morning at Shawnee Indian Mission.



If you've never heard of it, look up the history. It's fascinating!



This building, one of the original dorm/office buildings, is now a private residence. I cannot decide if that would be unbelievably cool or really tiring to constantly have tourists at your door. Though except for school groups, I'd be willing to bet it's not a terribly popular spot. Which is a shame. We should connect to our history more!



Ahem. Sorry. Anyway, so you wander down that sidewalk up there and head across the little bridge and there's a covered wagon for your perusal. Granted, it's a little smaller than the big Conestogas many people had, but it gives you a fair idea of what it would be like to pack all your worldly goods into the back of a wagon and trek for months across the prairies.



A LOT of stuff got dumped along the way.

And there was no need for gas.

But there's a pump here anyway.



And for my greatest juxtapositional find, I give you: sparkly pink sunglasses on a pioneer homestead!!!



I swear I walked around a corner and just found them there.

No comments:

Post a Comment