Sunday, October 10, 2010

ArtPrize!

If you've been with me for...oh, a year or so, then you may remember last year's discussion of ArtPrize. Well, it's annual, though this is only the second. I'm so glad it did come back this year and even more, that I was able to come back to Grand Rapids to visit. And to take pictures, of course.

I haven't the time, space or inclination to show you all the shots I took, but I wanted to share a couple of my favorites (and there may be more tomorrow--we'll see).

At Rosa Parks Circle, there was a small pool with scads of steam rising from within to cascade up the hill behind it. And suddenly, there was a little girl cresting the hill, dramatically surrounded by the mist.



Okay, fine, she was playing. But it was still pretty cool. I rather wish she'd been wearing diaphanous scarves or even something post-apocalyptic...

On the face of the circle itself, right where one ice skates in the winter, there was a woman creating in chalk. She was surrounded by onlookers, primed to appreciate talent. However, ArtPrize was technically over. I have to wonder if perhaps she's out there all the time, crafting transient beauty for her own soul's edification and ArtPrize is just giving her a wonderful opportunity to share.




Hooray, art!

2 comments: